Where Self-Love and Self-Help Intersect
I love speaking to Danielle and in my previous interview with her , she gifted me an advanced copy of her new book , White Hot Truth: Clarity for keeping it real on your spiritual path from one seeker to another.
I loved digging in to it & highly recommend it.
Especially if you are feeling like all those green drinking, yoga bending , positive blanket statements are no longer working for you on your journey of self-discovery.
Danielle’s new book is an expose on feeling fatigued from self-help and why self-compassion is everything.
Here’s a snippet from White Hot Truth
“Fire walks and juice cleanses.
Weekend retreats with egomaniac mystics.
Miracle healings, shady Lightworkers, and therapists on speed dial.
Some questionable tantra teachers.
Tea with the Dalai Lama.
The saving grace of good girlfriends, and a spiritual devotion to that is anything but puritanical…
With self-help adventures gone wrong and breakthroughs that made it all right, Oprah SuperSoul 100 member Danielle LaPorte cheerleads us, Soul Seekers, to tap our own wisdom by having a good laugh, and maybe a good cry, at all the ways we’ve been trying to improve on our self-improvement. “Our fulfillment stems from our motives.”
Danielle offers a radical consideration for almost every goal-setter and devotee.
“It’s not how we seek spiritual growth; it’s why we seek it.”
We’re doing so many good things to develop ourselves—but maybe we’re trying to get better for unhealthy reasons.
White Hot Truth is right on time for those of us who came of age in the New Age, or are about to, helping us see when we’re bypassing our feelings, or falling for well-branded dogma.
This is a provocative call to be as discerning as we are Loving, and to finally realize that the best self-help is self-compassion.
Rooted in feminism and spiritual activism, Danielle takes a philosophical deep-dive into:
• The myths that we (inevitably) fall for on our way to Truth: The Big Lies of Inadequacy, Authority, and Affiliation.
• The “Discipleshit” that happens when we give our power away—and the initiation of wresting it back.
• Faux freedoms: “If I’m ‘evolved,’ do I have to want an open relationship?” “If I’m a feminist, do I have to like porn?” A smackdown on sacred sex teachings that go sideways and group think disguised as liberation.
• The bravery of practicing deep positivity, vs. shallow “positive-think.”
• Why “tolerance” as a so-called spiritual course of action can lead to insane loyalty and fool’s compassion—and how self-help-inclined women are perfect mismatches for narcissistic personalities.
• Making our own medicine—from Psych 101, to functional medicine, to the super woo woo…why we need to create wellness support systems that are as complex as we are.
• The sneaky self-hatred that drives even the most aware spiritual seekers, and how to “return to our fullness when we’ve slipped into our halfness.”
• Boundaries for spiritual people—the distinction between boundaries that maintain your freedom and barriers that weigh you down.
• Conscious optimism: We’re all asking, “What can I do to help a hurting world?” The powerful place between being overwhelmed by global problems and living a life of service, daily.
• How to tell a true teacher from a false prophet when social media has turned personal development into a form of entertainment.
• And thoughts on the complexity of forgiveness, a “Soul-perspective” on suffering, and what spiritual devotion gives us in return. Danielle brings it home with the hottest Truth of all: You are your own guru.
As always we love to hear your thoughts so pop a comment below